January 31, 2019

Year of Wonder – February

I have just finished my first month reading through Year of Wonder by Clemency Burton-Hill. The book provides descriptions of 366 pieces of music, one for each day of the year, and I have dutifully kept up with the mission of the book by reading about and listening to one piece of music every day. I have even given several of the pieces repeated listenings and have come to the end of January with an appreciation for many pieces I had never heard. No doubt, this project has turned into one of the better resolutions I have made for a new year, and I look forward to staying with this adventure for the next eleven months. Many thanks to Burton-Hill for her wonderful book. 

If anyone would like to join me in this project, you can begin on any day of the year. I have embedded a Spotify playlist for the music from February. I have also embedded two of the pieces from January that I had never heard and have cheerfully added to my listening repertoire. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. 


Elena Kats-Chernin, "Unsent Love Letters" (from Meditations on Erik Satie)
Performed by Tamara-Anna Cislowska

Reynaldo Hahn, "L'heure exquise," excerpt from Chansons grises No. 5
Performed by Philippe Jaroussky (countertenor) and Jérôme Ducros (piano)

No comments:

Post a Comment